Monday, August 15, 2011

Brown Butter Rice Krispy Treats


I finally got a copy of the cookbook Flour, which I'd been eying for a few months. I wanted to dig right in, but, alas, my oven has been broken for the last week. It's been a sad week for me :(. Thankfully, the cookbook's author, Joanne Chang, was kind enough to include this no-bake recipe for Brown Butter Rice Krispy Treats.

It's probably been 20 years since the last time I've enjoyed a rice krispy treat. Making these was a trip down memory lane. This recipe stays fairly true to the beloved classic, while giving it a tad more sophistication. Browning the butter gives these treats a nutty, more complex taste. Yet, the large amount of marshmallow creates the ooey-gooey-ness nostalgia demands. My husband, who hates marshmallow, loved these. I think you'll love them, too.


BROWN BUTTER RICE KRISPY TREATS

1 c. (2 sticks) unsalted butter
1/2 vanilla bean, split lenghtwise
2 10 oz. bags marshmallows
1/2 tsp kosher salt
9 c. crispy rice cereal

1. Line a 9 x 13 baking pan with aluminum foil.

2. In a large, heavy bottomed, stock pot, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Scrape seeds from vanilla bean into the butter. Once butter is melted, it will start to foam up and bubble. Once the bubbling subsides (which will take a few minutes) is when the butter will start to brown. You'll notice the butter go from yellow to a light tan to a golden brown. You should notice a nutty aroma.

3. Once your butter has browned, immediately add in the marshmallows and salt. Stir constantly until marshmallows are melted and combined with the browned butter. Remove from the heat and stir in the rice cereal. Stir until rice cereal is fully coated with marshmallow mix. Spoon into the prepared pan. Allow to rest at room temperature for about an hour before cutting into squares.

Source: Flour, by Joanne Chang with Christie Matheson, Chronicle Books, 2010, pg. 133.

12 comments:

  1. Yes, I'm sure I'll like this recipe. Browned butter improves the taste of most everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look awesome! I've recently discovered browned butter so I'll have to try this :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look SO GOOD. I have that cookbook too, isn't it great?

    I should make some of these, as the no-oven-needed part is great for summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything with brown butter just tastes better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great recipes! You are killing my diet! LOL


    Stop by and link up at What’s Cooking Wednesday!

    http://www.extremepersonalmeasures.com/2011/08/whats-your-favorite-cookbook.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grown Up Rice Krispy Treats! I love it. Browned butter tastes amazing and I can only imagine how good these taste. I may never make rice krispy treats the same way again. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These sound delicious!! Saving to my recipe file for sure! Stopping by from Full Plate Thursday! :)

    Blessings,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great flavor these little treats will have. Hope you have a great week end and thanks for sharing with Full Plate Thursday!
    Come back soon,
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum. Rice Krispy treats are one of my childhood favorites and these look delectable.

    I'd love for you to link up to Flash-back Friday when you have a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been trying some different rice krispy treats lately but I haven't tried the brown butter version yet. I'm sure they're excellent and I can't wait to try them. Thanks for sharing on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have absolutely added my vote to others for the CBS3 favorite blog vote. After all, I also live outside Philadelphia (a mile and a half) with my daughter and THREE demanding cats. How could I not??

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am making these soon - what a great idea. I love browned butter...and am not a big marshmallow fan either, but love rice crispie treats. Thanks for sharing - I saw you at Melt in your Mouth Monday. ~The Better Baker

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog. I love hearing from you!