Friday, August 12, 2011

Quick Queso

My husband loves dip. Loves dip. Loves dip for lunch. Loves dip for dinner. Loves to dip any food in any sauce available. I figure it's only a matter of time before he tries to dip dip in more dip. And of all the dips I've made over the years, this Quick Queso his absolute favorite. It's requires two ingredients and takes less than five minutes to make. That makes it my favorite dip, too.

Oh, and it also tastes really good. So there's that.

I realize Velveeta isn't very modern. Growing up, we had a piece of Tupperware designed specifically to hold blocks of Velveeta and a special cheese slicer to cut it. Back then, fewer people seemed to cringe in horror at the idea of eating neon orange cheese-like substances made of ingredients cooked up in a lab. Ah, the good old days. But even with my new-fangled pretentiousness toward fake non-foods, sometimes you need to let your hair down and live a little. So make some queso out of Velveeta. You won't regret it.


QUICK QUESO

1 lb. processed cheese-like loaf (Velveeta), cubed
1 10 oz can diced tomatoes with green chilies (Rotel), undrained (it's fine if you want to drain it; it'll make a thicker dip with a milder spice level)

1. In a 2-quart sauce pan, combine the Velveeta and Rotel. Heat over medium, stirring occasionally, until cheese is melted. Serve warm with tortilla chips.

Source: Kraft Foods

12 comments:

  1. This dip is a classic, always a hit. Maybe a guilty pleasure! Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this dip sooo much! I wish there was a healthy way to make it but it seems pretty impossible. Totally worth the extra calories though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also love any kind of dip! Even the queso in a jar. I'm not very picky! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this dip.....we have it all the time, great over beef nachos too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my husbands favorite dip! Rotel is a staple in our house.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love a good queso dip!


    Stop by and link up at What’s Cooking Wednesday!

    http://www.extremepersonalmeasures.com/2011/08/whats-your-favorite-cookbook.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this! We make this in the south but add a lb. of cooked and crumbled HOT ground sausage. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm I love queso. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love dip and this happens to be my favorite of them all. I'm with Sara...we add crumbled HOT sausage to ours or bacon and spinach. That's a good combo too. I may have to make this sometime soon. I'm craving it now. haha! Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Abby,
    What an all American classic that we just love. Hope you have a great week end and thanks for sharing with Full Plate Thursday!
    Come back soon,
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog. I love hearing from you!