Monday, September 19, 2011

Oatmeal Cream Pies


I'm not sure what inspired me to make this classic lunch-box treat, the oatmeal cream pie. But I did. And I'm glad. Anyone who is a fan of the Little Debbie version will absolutely love these. People not familiar will probably enjoy them, too. If you're not an oatmeal fan, don't worry. Oatmeal gives these snack cakes a bit of body and texture, but the flavor won't resemble anything that's ever been served to you in a bowl. My oatmeal loathing husband loved these.

Now, I don't know if was just me, but I had a lot, a lot, of extra filling left over. I also got half the amount of sandwiches I should have (about 12 vs. 24). That said, I'm uncomfortable with the idea of halving the cream filling or doubling the cookie batter, for the purposes of writing up this recipe, in case you have a different experience than I did. I say, try it once as written and decrease the amount of filling you prepare accordingly. The worst thing that can happen is that you'll have extra marshmallow filling on your hands. Or is it the best thing? ;)


OATMEAL CREAM PIES

for the sandwich cookies:
4 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
1/2 c packed light brown sugar
1/4 c sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 c rolled oats
3/4 c all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt

for the filling:
1 1/2 c Marshmallow Fluff
1 1/4 c vegetable shortening
1 c powdered sugar
1 tbsp vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

2. In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugars with an electric mixer. Continue to beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes.

3. In a food processor, pulse 3/4 c of the oatmeal until it becomes more like flour. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the ground oatmeal, regular oatmeal, flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add these dry ingredients into the butter mixture. Mix together at a low speed until just combined.

4. Drop tablespoons of batter on the prepared baking sheets. These cookies will spread while baking, so keep dough rounds about 2 inches apart. Bake each sheet for about 10-12 minutes, or until just slightly browned at the edges. Let cool on a wire rack before filling.

5. For the filling, beat together the marshmallow cream and shortening on medium speed for about 3 minutes. Add in the powdered sugar and vanilla and beat again for another 3 minutes. To get your best looking cookie sandwiches, place filling in a plastic gallon bag and clip a bottom corner with scissors. Use this as a piping bag. Pipe filling, starting in the center of the cookie and swirling outwards, stopping about 1/4 inch from the edge. Gently press a similarly sized cookie on top.

Source: Whoopie Pies

This recipe is shared with Melt in Your Mouth Monday, Craft-O-Maniac, On the Menu Monday, Recipe Sharing Monday, Made by You Monday, Tuesday Talent Show, This Chick Cooks, Full Plate Thursday, It's a Keeper Thursday, Sweet Tooth Friday, Sweets for a Saturday, Sweet Indulgences Sunday, Foodie Friday

22 comments:

  1. I would think that a little extra marshmallow would be a lively thing (giggle). I'll have to give these a try. My kids love the little Debbie version. 

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank for this super recipe! The Little Debbie version is my favorite of what they have to offer. This looks much better! Pinning to my Bakery board.
    XoXoXo
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my word. I could just eat that right off the screen, I swear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh gosh, for me having leftover filling would be the best thing. I'd eat it with a spoon! :)

    I host a linky that is open through Friday and would love for you to join sometime! Visit the link at Crazy Sweet Tuesdays

    ReplyDelete
  5. These remind me of my childhood! Loved those Lil Debbies! And I'm sure these are a 100 times better :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That filling looks so yummy! I am just loving your site! I am a new follower. Check out my blog and follow back if you're interested! http://eatcakefordinner.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks amazing and I know they were delish.
    I tried to make Martha Stewarts Whoopie Pie,and did I ever flub the dub...think I'll try this recipe,maybe I'll have better luck.
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely love Oatmeal Cream Pies. Gonna have to pin this one!

    I'd be thrilled if you'd link this up to my new recipe party: http://www.alittlenosh.net/2011/09/inaugural-linky-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Little Debbie oatmeal cakes are my husband's favorite snack. Got to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG, I love Little Debbie's & these look so much better...can't wait to try!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My son loves these. I'm so making them! Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I came across your blog on Designs by Gollum and I love your post! Pinning this one now!

    I would love it if you would drop by Jane Deere and link up to Fusion Fridays with your favorite or most recent recipes, handmade crafts, diy projects, tips & tricks, and how to's! { open through Wednesday! }

    Jane Deere

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved the Little Debbie Oatmeal cookies! This is on the top of my list to try.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look absolutely delicious! I'm actually planning on making whoopie pies or cookie sandwiches this weekend. This looks perfect. I'd like to invite you to share your recipe on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    http://www.wellseasonedlife.com/2011/09/sweet-indulgences-sunday-23.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Abby!
    Are you TRYING to become my favorite food blog? You are well on your way! I want to make everything you make.
    As a child I loved Oatmeal pies, and I haven't had them for years!
    I am making these and freezing them next weekend.
    Look for these on the menu with a link back to your great and favorite blog!
    Thanks for joining us for ON THE MENU MONDAY with your yummy treat!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  16. my husband would love these! such great pics too~

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness! Those oatmeal pies look heavenly! I don't think having extra marshmallow filling would be a problem at all. Don't tell anyone, but I have been known to eat marshmallow cream with a spoon right out of the jar. Have to make these.----------Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  18. I looooove these wonderful cookies in the pkg. Can't wait to try this recipe....Pinned! =)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yum Yum Yum! These are just wonderful little treats. I can't wait to try this recipe! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and have a great week!
    Come Back Soon,
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  20. Stopping by from StoneGable's OTMM. These look delish and I'm looking forward to trying them.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh yum! I would love it if you linked these up to my new party! These sound so yummy! I am your newest follower also!
    Have a great day!
    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yummy! The only ways I like marshmallows are in smores and in oatmeal cookie sammies.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog. I love hearing from you!