- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 8 oz extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded*
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1-3 tbsp milk
- kosher salt
2. Now, that our ingredients are combined, the goal is to get the batter to come together into a dough ball. Add the egg. If dough is still too dry and crumbly, add one tablespoon milk. Mix on high speed. Continue adding milk, one tablespoon at a time, mixing on high speed between each addition, until your dough comes together. Once dough is finished, shape it into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour.
3. Split refrigerated dough into two pieces. Roll out each piece to a thickness between 1/4 and 1/8 inch. The thinner the dough, the crispier the cracker. Cut dough into small squares with knife, or use a mini cookie cutter. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place the crackers as close together on the sheet as you'd like; these actually shrink up a bit when baked. Sprinkle the top of each cracker with a bit of kosher salt.
4. Bake for 10 minutes in a 375 degree oven. The crackers are done when they start to brown on the outsides. Times can vary depending on how thick you rolled the dough and the how big you cut the shapes, so it's good to keep an eye on these. Allow to cool and then transfer to an airtight container. Enjoy!
*Pre-shredded cheese is great for some things, but not these cheddar crackers. The additives used to keep the cheese sticking together in the bag also keeps it from melting properly.
Source: Cats and Casseroles original recipe