There are dozens of versions of this casserole floating around out there. I've seen this called Yankee Doodle Dandy, Sour Cream Noodle Bake, and Ground Beef Casserole. I call mine Oodles Noodles because I add extra noodles in order to satisfy the bottomless pit that is my husband. I'll do anything to get leftovers.
OODLES NOODLES CASSEROLE
- 5 c. medium egg noodles
- 1 lb ground sirloin
- 1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 c. sour cream
- 1/3 c. cream cheese, softened
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Fill a large stock pot with water and let come to a boil. Add in noddles.
2. While noodles are cooking, brown ground sirloin in skillet over medium-high heat. Drain excess fat. Add tomato sauce and season with salt, pepper, and onion powder.
3. In small mixing bowl, combine cream cheese and sour cream.
4. Drain noodles and transfer them to a 9 x 13 baking dish. Layer the beef and tomato sauce mixture on top of noodles. Dot the top of the casserole with large spoonfulls of the cream cheese and sour cream mixture. Smooth out, being careful not to disturb ground beef layer underneath.
5. Bake in preheated oven,uncovered, for about 20 minutes, or until heated through.
Source: Cats and Casseroles original recipe