Friday, July 22, 2011

Buttermilk Pecorino Dressing


It's important to me to reduce the amount of pre-packaged food my family eats, and one easy place I've found to make cuts is the salad dressing aisle of the grocery store. Making my own salad dressing is just so easy, and the possibilities are endless. With very few exceptions, I prefer a creamy dressing over a vinaigrette. This recipe for Buttermilk Pecorino Dressing hits all the right notes for a creamy dressing. I love the tang of the pecorino-romano cheese, and the lemon zest freshens it up, while the ample amount of freshly-cracked black pepper gives it bite.


BUTTERMILK PECORINO DRESSING

3/4 c. low-fat buttermilk
3/4 c. Pecorino Romano cheese
2 tbsp plain yogurt
1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 tsp lemon zest
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp kosher salt

1. In medium mixing bowl, whisk together all ingredients until well combined. Store in refrigerator in air-tight container. Shake container before serving.

Source: Martha Stewart Living Magazine, April 2011

5 comments:

  1. YUM! This dressing sounds wonderful! You have got some great recipes on here! I am loving your blog and the whole look of it! Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your comment! I love making new blog friends! I am your newest follower and would love it if you would follow me too! Thanks!
    -Nikki
    http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting and for your comments on my SRC lemon bars! I do make my own salad dressing from time to time, but not as often as I should. This looks very good...a nice blend of flavors. And I love your intro on the blog...I live in Texas, but I live with a husband and a demanding cat (Lucy) as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this! You've tapped into a recent enthusiasm of mine - eating more "real" food and less pre-packaged stuff. I like knowing exactly where my food is coming from and already feel a difference in my health and energy levels. So any little bit helps, right? ;)

    Oh, and I also prefer creamier dressings even though I tell myself the vinaigrette is better for me....!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so yummyyyyyyyy..I will try it.Thank you for sharing. Btw Thanks to commet at my blog..and now I'm your follower too...:))
    (http://www.bellecaketopperandmould.net)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's pretty good and delicious.I have a doubt that,is it necessary to include black pepper?Because we are using butter milk.Doctors advising that don't use spices and milk together.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog. I love hearing from you!